How to improve reading comprehension of children
- Reading comprehension comes in to play when you are reading newspaper online/offline. What does the news convey?
- In a work environment let's say to have to submit a proposal for a RFP (request for proposal). You need to read through dozens or even hundreds of pages of customer requirement, summarize your understanding and come out with a solution.
- Reading an email consisting of instructions and carrying out the instructions by way of physical actions
- Reading a user guide for an electronic gadget and trying to troubleshoot a problem
- Preschool: This is where the foundation is built. Read a lot of books with your child. Read the sentence and explain the meaning. Joint story reading sessions helps boost their liking to reading. The more they read, the more they improve.
- Primary school: Introduce them to novels and story books. Slowly get away from comics (picture books) and get in to full text only books. This will work wonders in developing the reading skills.
- Secondary school: Introduce them to a variety of authors and genres. This will build their vocabulary in a big way.
- Teen years: Continue to engage them in reading new books, newspapers, blogs and articles. They will not only improve on reading comprehension but also develop strong spoken and writing skills.
Connect with us: